Manuscript Remains

A web blog devoted to reducing the white noise of modern life. I value Culture above the mainstream. Arthur Schopenhauer has been a major influence on my life (though I don't share his misogyny). In many ways I dedicate this blog to his memory.

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Goodbye Facebook

(Told to the rhythm of Goodnight Moon)

In my grey room there is a grey cell phone
And a laptop
With a 'delete account' on screen.

And above
On my shelves and in different nooks, one can see
Many kinds of books
Novels, biographies, philosophies, tomes
With poems inside

Much better things for the mind....

Goodbye, Facebook

Goodbye, Facebook, with all the superficial friends
Goodbye, postings of cute kittens and
Other people's children that never seem to end.

Goodbye, blue band and timeline
Goodbye, 'like' feature that seems quite asinine. 

Goodbye, profile with pictures and tags
Goodbye, feed that sometimes tediously, ridiculously lags.

Goodbye, so-called 'Privacy' and of course, the NSA
Goodbye, Obama, probably looking into my profile today.

Goodbye, Nasdaq
Goodbye, Zuckerberg, perhaps CIA-backed.

Goodbye, Facebook;

Goodbye, envy and dismay
Goodbye ,wasted hours, lonely hours
Creeping other 'friends' today.

Goodbye, contacts who have nothing better to do
Than self-congratulates themselves
With a photo of their day or two

Or things they did, or share some platitude or New Age quote
Nothing that gives you hope
But still, how sad.

Goodbye to all the self-basking,
To the on-line masking
That makes one weary and yet mad. 

Goodbye, bland comments,
Goodbye, marketing ads
Goodbye to this trend
That now includes moms and granddads.

Goodbye, yes, to all the updates
That never really mattered

Goodbye to all the people
Across the years once collected
Now scattered.

Goodbye to the hope that I can reclaim
Time
Goodbye, Facebook
And hopefully your site's decline.

Goodbye, Facebook
My world will hopefully be richer now

When I hit this 'delete' button
And go on with my life somehow.

Goodbye, Facebook
Goodbye.
 

No comments: